Joints Supplements for Arthritis in Dogs and Cats
What are joint supplements?
A joint supplement is an additive product used to complete or enhance treatment in arthritic changes. They work by reducing inflammation within joints and/or improving functionality of a diseased joint.
They are often used in mild cases, but are very helpful in more severe cases and can be combined with most arthritic medications prescribed by your veterinarian.
How do they work?
Most supplements aim at reducing inflammation within the joint by suppressing chemicals responsible for this as well as improving the joint environment via the production of healthy cartilage and increased joint lubrication.
Products and Mechanisms:
- 4CYTETM Granules for Dogs contains EPIITALIS which is a plant oil extract patented for its ability to proliferate chondrocyte cells with the purpose of cartilage regeneration.
- GLYDE contains glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate which are used as building blocks for cartilage and lubrication within a joint, as well as green lipped mussel powder which provides a source of omega 3 fatty acid supplementation.
- OSTEOSUPPORT contains natural green-lipped mussel powder which provides high levels of omega 3 and includes natural sources of chondroitin sulphate.
- ANTINOL contains a naturally occurring fatty acid group called PCSO-524. Fatty acids reduce inflammation that can lead to joint pain and swelling.
We can also supplement using nutrition, which allows for ease of management and better patient compliance. Most premium brand companies have a prescription joint diet which aids in controlling arthritis.
- Hill’s J/D contains:
- Glucosamine and chondroitin which provide building blocks for cartilage repair
- Carnitine which helps reduce fat while maintaining lean muscle
- Antioxidants which promote immune system health
- High in fatty acids which aid in inflammation
- Royal Canin Mobility C2P+ contains:
- C2P+ joint complex comprising of turmeric extract, hydrolysed collagen and green tea polyphenols
- Nutrients known to support joint health and mobility
- Moderate calorie content which helps to maintain ideal body weight
To read more about senior diets, follow the link below: